Exciting 2021 Happenings
- Prostitution Down 95%
- Streetscape Improvements on Sprague
- Coordinating Transportation Issues with WSDOT
- Creation of Business Improvement District
- Working on Homeless / Vagrant Issues
Exciting 2019 Happenings
- 14 new businesses and organizations moved into the East Spokane neighborhood.
- The Vanessa Behan Crisis Nursery project is now well underway.
- Sprague Avenue Rebuild Phase I brought a better roadway, safer sidewalks, and new infrastructure to the neighborhood. Phase II has commenced and is slated for completion by summer of 2020.
- Mayor Condon and the Spokane Police Department joined together to remove abandoned RVs from our streets.
- Three great Sprague Avenue events in collaboration with the Sprague Union District BID – Holiday on the Ave, Spring on the Ave, and Autumn on the Ave – showcasing local businesses and encouraging community engagement.
- A first-of-its-kind snow removal program has been developed to keep residents, business owners, and shoppers safe this winter. BID funds enabled the acquisition of a tractor and a de-icer unit.
Exciting 2018 Happenings
- East Spokane’s commerce-friendly attitude attracted over a dozen new businesses, some of which chose to relocate from downtown.
- With Playfair 9 and 10, Playfair Commerce Park added 135,000 more square feet of industrial space and brought more well-paid jobs to the neighborhood.
- The City of Spokane’s CSO projects continued, with one tank at Liberty Park now fully underground and two more well underway.
- Altamont Street received much-needed repaving.
- The University District Gateway Bridge linking East Sprague with downtown was completed in December 2018.
- Governor Jay Inslee selected the TIP Initiative by ESBA, the City of Spokane, Community Frameworks, and the Spokane Regional Health District for a Governor’s Smart Communities Partnership Award honoring a joint public project implementing a comprehensive plan.
Exciting 2017 Happenings
- $8.5 million Sprague Union District streetscape upgrade
- Construction on One South Madelia apartment complex, located on the corner of Sprague and Madelia Street
- Opening of new Frontier Behavioral Health Outpatient Center, corner of Sprague and Lee Street
- Vintage McKinley School on Napa Street one block north of Sprague to be renovated
- Union Gospel Mission Student Impact Center project, remodeling and updating current Crisis Shelter for Women and Children
- Ferry Avenue and Altamont Street Connector (by Playfair Commerce Park) will connect East Spokane industrial and commercial area with Sprague Union District
- $5 million Playfair Commerce Park 5 Building, under construction, expanding the development of the City’s newest and largest industrial park
- 2017 Art on the Avenue
- 2017 Business After Hours Dinner Event
- Sixth Annual Art on the Ave
- Fifth Annual Business After Hours
- East Sprague (BID) Business Improvement District successfully implemented
- On-going maintenance & repair of district irrigation systems
- Payment of district irrigation system water
- Installation, maintenance, repair & replacement of streetlights
- Alley lighting
- Maintenance of swales and storm water infrastructure
2016 District Investment
- Playfair Commerce Park #5 Building Started – 52,500 sq ft
- Able Label
- ADI / Honeywell
- B J’s Muffler Shop
- CWallA Building Materials Co
- Compass Construction Inc
- Cool Cars LLC
- Graceful Gift Baskets
- Green Peaks NW LLC
- Independent Auto Sales
- Pacific Tire Distributors
- River City Auto
- Riverside Kitchens & Design
- Spokane East Side
- Street Fit Spokane
- The Haskins Co
- University Mercantile LLC
- Washington Packaging
- Waterdaddy Inc
Exciting 2015 Happenings
- Fifth Annual Art on the Ave
- Fourth Annual Business After Hours
- Targeted Investment Pilot (TIP) progress continues with 1st Avenue construction
- East Sprague (BID) Business Improvement District proposal
- See Something, Say Something campaign
- Window Dressing proposal
- Smart Growth America
- United Way Day of Action
- Children’s Garden
- 1st Ave & Pittsburg – Spear, Scafco, YouthBuild
- Community Café participates:
- Alley Garbage clean-up with United Way grant
- Greening Grant
- Lighting Project
2015 District Investment
- ADM – proposed $200 million expansion
- SCAFCO – Playfair Commerce #4 Building Completion – 63,750 sq ft
- 4 Degrees Real Estate – 1826 E Sprague Ave renovation
2015 New District Businesses
- A & J Clothing
- Able Label
- AMI Metals Inc
- Bennidito’s Brew Pub
- Credit Max Autosales
- Dorse & Co
- Era Vintage Home
- Premier Medical
- Freedom Auto Sales
- Haskins Steel Co.
- J & T’s Audio
- Keppin IT Clean
- L & L Trucking
- Mountain West
- Motor Co
- Pantagruelian Agriculture
- Pho Minh
- Pride Prep
- Sanchez Shoe Repair & Tiendita
- Snacktvist Foods
- This That & the Other
- Washington 420 Svc
- plus dozens more in East Central.
Exciting 2014 Happenings
- Selection as Spokane first ever targeted investment area with the Targeted Investment Pilot (TIP)
- ESBA Facade Improvement Grant – DMC Enterprises, The Checkerboard, The Tin Roof
- Sprague Avenue Re-striping with updated striping
- Fourth Annual Art on the Ave
- Third Annual Business After Hours
- Essentials of Storefront Design Seminar and consultations.
2014 District Investment
- DMC ENTERPRISES – Honeycutt Building renovation
- INLAND EMPIRE RESIDENTIAL RESOURCES â€” construction of Sprague Union Terrace building
- SCAFCO – Playfair Commerce Park; new 70,000 sq ft building
- SPRAGUE FOOD COURT – land and building renovation
- THE TIN ROOF – expansion in planning phase
- 1413 E SPRAGUE AVE – refurbished building.
2014 New District Businesses
- Business Cents
- C&W Mattress
- Creative Catch Studio
- Design IT Solutions
- East Sprague Art Gallery
- Sign Art Studio
- Asylum Art Studio
- Spokane Cheesecakes
- Thai Lunch Box
- The Ivory Table
- Top Agents
- ZuZu’s Designs